top of page

Insurance explained - what are home Contents?

Insurance companies can sometimes throw words and phrases around assuming everyone knows what they mean. Here we explain what home Contents are.

CoverWiki Dictionary
What are home Contents?

In short, home Contents are the things in your home that you’d expect to take with you if you were to move home. Another way to describe them is all the things that would fall out if you turned your home upside down. Contents cover may extend to things you keep outside in your garden, garage or shed for example, but it depends on the insurance product you choose whether you get this or how much is covered.

You can insure the contents of your home by buying a home Contents policy either as a stand-alone policy, or as part of a combined Buildings and Contents policy, if you own or mortgage the home rather than rent it.

Generally the owner occupier or lead tenant would take out a single Contents cover for everyone who lives in the home - just make sure any non-family lodgers are mentioned on the quote if asked.

Contents policies are normally sold on a sum insured or ‘up to’ blanket basis - make sure you choose a limit that suits the needs of your household.

Compare home insurance quotes

Learned something new? Share this article using the buttons below


Be the first to know!

Get details of our latest posts sent direct to your inbox. 

Thanks for subscribing!

Our services are completely free for you to use because third parties may pay us when you visit their website through a link on our website. We always aim to give you accurate information at the point of publication, but terms of products can always be changed by the third party afterwards.

Get quotes

Insurers Not on Price Comparison Websites

bottom of page